All too often fires bring on devastating destruction to homes across the country. When fires strike the damage can be costly as structures are destroyed, possessions are ruined, and dwellings are left uninhabitable. Being aware of these common causes of house fires can help prevent this devastation from reaching your home.
- Cigarettes: Make sure all cigarettes are fully put out before falling asleep. Even a single fallen ember can evolve into a flame.
- Kitchen Fires: Always make sure to attend anything cooking in the kitchen. Also, keep a designated fire extinguisher in the kitchen for any fires that may occur and remember that water fuels grease fires, so use the extinguisher instead.
- Children: Keep matches, fuels, and lighters out of reach of curious children.
- Candles: Do not leave candles unattended and make sure they are away from anything that could catch fire. Also remember to blow out candles before going to bed and/or leaving the room.
- Flammable Household Items: Keep flammable chemicals and products such as paint, stain, and cleaning products in a cool ventilated area and away from sources of heat.
- Electrical Issues: Routinely inspect your circuits and fuses to make sure they aren’t blowing frequently and are not overloaded. Check your extension cords to make sure they aren’t overloaded either and that all of your cords are intact and are not fraying.
- Heating Sources: Get any fireplace, furnace, chimney, and space heaters thoroughly inspected before you use them each year and make sure that there are no items near them that may catch fire.
- Best Insurance Services, Inc. can help answer questions about a multitude of insurance issues. Call (979) 297-2655 or visit our website www.bestinsurancetx.com